1. How much does a Habitat house cost? The homes are typically under $205,000. Habitat only requires $2,500 towards closing costs, which can be paid in installments.
2. How much are the monthly payments? Our average monthly mortgage payment is under $950.00. The mortgage payment includes principal, taxes, and insurance.
3. How much does it cost to apply for a Habitat home? A $15 nonrefundable money order must be submitted with the application.
4. How much interest do you charge on a Habitat home? Habitat sells the homes at no profit and with 0% (zero percent) interest on the mortgage.
5. Can I apply as a single applicant if I am still legally married but living separately from my spouse? No. If you are legally married, Habitat requires that both spouses be part of the application and apply as co-applicants.
6. Can I apply for my children or other family members if they live in another county? All applicants and occupants must live or work in Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe County.
7. Can I apply if I have filed bankruptcy? Yes, but the bankruptcy release date must be at least 4 years old.
8. Do I have to be a US citizen to apply? To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. This applies to all applicants and co-applicants.
9. What kind of income do I need to qualify? The maximum income levels are listed below: Minimum qualifying incomes are based on property location. Refer to available lot list (on application.)
We 10. How do I verify my income if I get paid in cash? In order to verify cash income, you must deposit earnings into the same bank account each time you get paid. The cash income must be reported on your IRS Form 1040 when you file taxes.
11. Do I have to have a job to become a Habitat homeowner? Habitat requires that you receive enough monthly income to be able to afford a Habitat home. Affordability is determined through income such as work, child support, SSI, or other sources. Your mortgage payment cannot exceed 30% of your total monthly income. Refer to available lot list for minimum income requirements.
12. Does Habitat require a certain score on a credit report? Habitat does not use credit scores as a basis for creditworthiness. We look at good debt and bad debt levels. "Good debt" is an account that is being paid on time; "bad debt" is an account that has gone to collections and/or charged off. In order to apply, your bad debt must be less than $500, expect for medical collections which must be under $5,000.
13. If my credit is good, but my co-applicant's credit is not, can I apply? Both applicants' credit will be subject to the same criteria.
14. Do I have to help in the construction of the house? Yes. If selected, you will be required to work one full 8-hour day per week until the house is completed. This is what we call “sweat equity.” A single applicant will need to put in a minimum of 250 hours of sweat equity, while two applicants will work a minimum of 300 hours.
15. Do I have to know anything about construction? No. We will teach you and provide expert supervision.
16. How are homeowners selected? A family selection committee reviews all applicants that meet our 3 requirements: housing need, ability to repay, and willingness to partner. Habitat follows a non-discriminatory selection process. Homeowner selection is made without regard to race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, disability, color, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected category.
17. Where can I get an application? You can download the homeowner application Here. Please only complete an application when we open applications to the public and release specific addresses. Once you've completed it, mail it to the Miami Habitat office: 3800 NW 22nd Ave., Miami, FL 33142. Please make sure that you place the $15 money order on top of the application and that the correct copies of all the required documents listed on the application are included. Please do not send originals, as documents will not be returned. Due due COVID-19, our office is currently closed to the public and we are currently only accepting applications through the mail. PLEASE MAIL ALL APPLICATIONS TO HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF GREATER MIAMI: 3800 NW 22ND AVE., MIAMI, FL 33142.
18. How long will it take to process my application? We will provide feedback within 30 days of receiving your application.
19. Can I apply for a Habitat home if I previously owned another Habitat home? An applicant(s) cannot be a previous Habitat home recipient in Miami-Dade or any other county, regardless of how many years ago.
20. Can I apply for a Habitat home if I previously owned another home? Habitat for Humanity is a first time homebuyer program. If you owned a home in the past you will need to wait 3 years to become a first time homebuyer again.