1. How much does a Habitat house cost? The homes are typically under $185,000. Habitat only requires $2,000 towards closing cost which can be paid in installments.
2. How much are the monthly payments? The monthly mortgage payments are calculated at 30% of the applicant and co-applicant's total family income. Our average monthly mortgage payment is approximately $800.00. The mortgage payment includes principal, taxes, and insurance.
3. How much does it cost to apply for a Habitat home? A $15 nonrefundable money order must be submitted with the application.
4. How much interest do you charge on a Habitat home? Habitat sells the homes at no profit and with 0% (zero percent) interest on the mortgage.
5. Can I apply as a single applicant if I am still legally married but living separately from my spouse? No. If you are legally married, Habitat requires that both spouses be part of the application and apply as co-applicants.
6. Can I apply for my children or other family members if they live in another county? All applicants and occupants must live or work in Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe County.
7. Can I apply if I have filed bankruptcy? Yes, but the bankruptcy release date must be at least 4 years old.
8. Do I have to be a US citizen to apply? To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
9. What kind of income do I need to qualify? The maximum income levels are listed below: Minimum qualifying incomes are based on property location. Refer to available lot list (on application.)
10. How do I verify my income if I get paid in cash? In order to verify cash income, you must deposit earnings into the same bank account each time you get paid. The cash income must be reported on your IRS Form 1040 when you file taxes. This sort of documentation will make it possible to verify your income. We will calculate your 1099/Cash income from your 2 most recent IRS Form 1040’s. The lowest amount of wages declared on those 2 consecutive years will be used.
11. Do I have to have a job to become a Habitat homeowner? Habitat requires that you receive enough monthly income to be able to affordable a Habitat home. Affordability is determined through income such as work, child support, SSI or other sources. Your mortgage payment cannot exceed 30% of your total monthly income. Refer to available lot list for minimum income requirements.
12. Does Habitat require a certain score on a credit report? Habitat does not use credit scores as a basis for creditworthiness. We look at good debt and bad debt levels. "Good debt" is an account that is being paid on time; "bad debt" is an account that has gone to collections and/or charged off. In order to apply your bad debt must be less than $500. Expect for medical collections which must be under $5,000.
13. If my credit is good, but my co-applicant's credit is not, can I apply? Both applicants' credit will be subject to the same criteria.
14. Do I have to help in the construction of the house? Yes. If selected, you will be required to work one full 8-hour day per week until the house is completed, which normally takes about 12 months. This is what we call “sweat equity.” A single applicant will need to put in a minimum of 250 hours of sweat equity, while two applicants will work a minimum of 300 hours.
15. Do I have to know anything about construction? No. We will teach you and provide expert supervision.
16. How are homeowners selected? A family selection committee reviews all applicants that meet our 3 requirements, which are housing need, ability to repay, and willingness to partner. Habitat follows a non-discriminatory selection process. Homeowner selection is made without regard to race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, disability, color, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected category.
17. Where can I get an application? You can download the homeowner application from the Homeowners tab, or pick up one at the office, located at 3800 NW 22nd Avenue. Once you've completed it, mail it to the address at the top of the application with the $15 money order and copies of all the required documents listed on the application. You can also drop off these required documents in person. Please do not send originals, as documents will not be returned.
18. How long will it take to process my application? Depending on how accurately the application is completed, processing time can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.
19. Can I apply for a Habitat home if I previously owned another Habitat home? An applicant(s) cannot be a previous Habitat home recipient in Miami-Dade or any other county, regardless of how many years ago.
20. Can I apply for a Habitat home if I previously owned another home? Habitat for Humanity is a first time homebuyer program. If you owned a home in the past you will need to wait 3 years to become a first time homebuyer again.
If you have any additional questions, please refer to the first 2 pages of our application.